Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday updates

I've decided to only update on Sunday...I'm just so busy that I have no other time! I figure reading through a missionary's letter and putting it up for others to see is an ok sunday activity. Hopefully I won't be struck down for it! So here's our most recent letter:
It has now been a month that I've been a missionary. One month ago was the first day on my mission after being set apart. On friday, it will have been two months of being here at the MTC. Wow. It does fly. Actually, it doesn't really feel like time passes at all anymore. I have no concept of time, days, hours, months, years. If it didn't get cold when winter comes, I probably would have no clue how long I've been here. (I don't think he proof read this. whoops!)

Sorry Dad for not wishing you happy birthday last week. I was going to, but I forgot while writing the email. And I ran out of time to write any other letters home. We're not supposed to write on any other day, so I've had to wait until now. Happy 50th! I hope you've really enjoyed the past half century (I only say it because you said it to me first). I hope the next half of the century will go very well for you as well. Thank you for all your help and service in our family and for me.

Along with forgetting things, E. Born has definitely realized that forgetting things is a talent I have. I leave stuff everywhere. I lose stuff all of the time. Luckily, I generally remember exactly where I left it. We've had a number of search and rescue escapades for my scriptures, or my blue card, or my Red Book (spanish book), or whatever. I really should try to keep better track of stuff, but how? (my parents think this is hilarious. He's actually going to have to learn how to put things back where they belong, like they've been telling him to do his whole life! A mission will teach you so many things...)

This week has been a little difficult for me because I've gotten a bit sick. The virus that had been going around finally got to me. Monday I was really slow and dragging. Sunday as well. Every sunday, my companion and I go to choir practice. But because of how I was feeling, we were thinking about taking a nap instead. We decided to pray. We came to the descision to still go to choir.

While at choir, E. Born saw a girl he knew from home. But, I also met up with E. Morris (Taylor Morris, the guy I played the piano for all year at BYU). He said that the accompanist that he had found was leaving and he needed me to play for him. So, I'll be auditioning with him on Thursday. There's a good chance that we'll be performing sunday and maybe a few other times. So, that was a really good thing that came out of going to Choir.

But something better came out of going to choir. We got a nap afterwards anyways!!! We got both! That was nice.

This week is when every one starts arriving to BYU. In the missionary handbook, it says that I shouldn't communicate with anyone of the opposite sex near mission boundaries. So, Zephne and I won't be writing each other until I leave. She'll write letters, but save them and send them once I get down there. And she'll see the website. But, yeah, it is hard and I don't think it would matter much, but I think I should follow it nonetheless. Serving the Lord is about sacrifice. (I decided to leave this paragraph on here, zephne)

I guess I should start to answer some of your letters.

Yes I have seen E. Matheson. Several times actually. (I'll admit, sometimes I forget whether his name is Andrew Matheson, or Matthew Anderson). (and here he's known Andrew practically his whole life. He's such a guy) He's doing well. And about spanish musical numbers, every hymn we sing, except the sacrament hymn is in spanish. Lots of spanish is sung.

Give grandma and grandpa my well wishes. I pray for you all. Thank them for the brief thought. I am trying to make every day terrific.


And also oh, DearElder.com doesn't date the messages. So, it would be nice if you wrote the date at the top or something. Or I can write it down. Do I need to date these emails?

We've continued to work on Spanish and teaching the second lesson. I love it when I truely feel like I'm teaching with the Spirit. On those occassions, you learn from the words yourself speak. And it is so good the E. Born and I work so well together. We generally only go about 4-5 sentences before switching. The scriptures also teach so well. Some of my favorites have become 2 Ne. 2 and 9, Alma 34,40-43. So much great stuff in there. Also in the beginning of Alma, but I don't remember the number.

I know this is true. I know that the Lord is supporting me and quickening my learning. I know that the Holy Ghost does testify of truth and can bring the neccessary change in people's lives.

I love you all,

Elder Ranquist

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Jessica! It sounds like Drake is doing exactly what he should be doing - learning, serving, praying, listening, going to choir practice - woo whoo!! and getting a virus to top it off. I've sure known and loved a lot of missionaries and the MTC is quite the overwhelming experience -he sounds like he's making great strides - wouldn't it be funny if he had grandpa Ranquist's genes and came home from his mission at 6 foot 3 and 200 pounds?
Love,
Aunt Barbie