Monday, August 11, 2008

The Dreaded Drop-off


After going to Walmart a total of 5 times in two days, it was finally time to drop Drake off. On July 30th the family went the the MTC (otherwise known as the Mother's Torture Chamber) in Provo, Utah to say a last goodbye to Elder Ranquist. After listening to a few talks of the MTC Mission President and his wife, the time came. Drake took the Mission President's advice to heart. "Use the bandaid method. The quicker you go, the less painful it will be." Once it was time for the goodbyes he gave me a hug, Jonathan a hug, Dad a hug, Mom a kiss, said "Love you" and was gone. I think it took under 2 minutes.
For those who are curious, I think the bandaid method did help my mom, though she obviously would have wanted more time with him. My brothers and I saw her cry more tears when we would say things like "this is the last time you will say good night to him" and "this is the last meal you will ever have with him" (something we took upon ourselves to do quite often). Even now, she'll get a far-off look when you speak Spanish around her. Does a mother ever get used to her son being gone?

3 comments:

whitney said...

Okay so the slide show made me tear up! Isn't the MTC so neat... its sad but so exciting at the same time! But you know me I'm a crier!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! There's my missionary! I can't believe it's so real! Ah! Watching the slide show made me miss him, but I'm very happy for him! He'll just love his mission. Just love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, P.S. I haven't seen that big of a smile in a long time! I bet he just loves it!!