Sunday, September 7, 2008

Reprimand

Dear Family,

I have now been here 5 weeks and have less than a month less. Over the past week, I wrote in my planner some of the things I wanted to write home about, so that I would remember. I don't know what I would do without my planner. I think I might keep a written planner despues de la misión. Sorry, sometimes I accidentally switch into spanish. (Like when we sing There is sunshine in my soul, I can't sing it in English. I automatically sing "Tengo gozo en mi alma hoy") That said after the mission.

So, yes, spanish is going well for me. We are now preparing to teach the first lesson in Spanish this friday. Teaching in Spanish isn't too bad. A little slower. And our companionship isn't as unified because I know more spanish than he does, so I end up teaching most of it. But, he is coming along well and knows about as much as I do now.

About our companionship. You talked about how much you hated companionship inventory Dad. I love them. It has made our companionship grow so much. We learn more about one another and draw closer together. We don't get annoyed with each other much at all and we are good friends, so that helps. But I think it is a good thing.

On a random side note and for my physics friends especially. I have learned that I speak at the resonance frequency of the stalls in the bathrooms in the resident halls. It comes to life with sound when I speak. It is very fun to play with, to just hum softly and it resonate loudly.

Oh, I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the poem that says "Get up my son and win the race." I'd kind of like to have it. Too bad I can't really use any of them to teach because they aren't in spanish.

This past week, I played for Elder Taylor Morris twice. We performed in his departing devotional (in front of about 300 people!) and for the Senior Missionary Orientation. He was amazing both times and I managed well enough. I told him that I would play for him any time he needs me after the mission. The Departing meeting made me want to leave and get out to do the real work I've been called to do. But, I still need a lot more preparation.

Our zone leaders had the idea of our parents sending thank you letters to our Branch Presidency, our current parents. They do a lot for us. Here is the address of our branch president if you wish to send a brief letter. But, don't use this to enter into any kind of correspondance. Do what you think is best.

President Thatcher
1882 E. Maple St.
Mapleton, UT 84664

Yesterday, Elder Cook surprised us all by coming to speak at our devotional. It is always great to hear from the apostles. He spoke mainly about how we have to teach to the needs of the investigators. That is the reason that memorized lessons were done away with. That we need to adjust each lesson to the individual investigator. The other main point is that we need to focus on commitments. We are out declaring repentence and we need to make sure the investigators understand the importance of changing their lives so that they can commit to stay in the church for their entire life.

One of the things he talked about was that this is the best place we could be to for our families. I know that. There is one thing I'd like to talk about. I wanted to say this when I was home, but never did. Dad, especially, I think we can do better at family scripture study and prayer. Don't worry so much about getting to bed on time or having too much homework. Jessica and Jonathan will get enough rest and will find time to finish everything. I think that the entire family read scriptures on their own, so, you could study conference talks or Preach my Gospel instead to apply the scriptures to our lives more. And you don't have to do it at night. Just sometime when everyone is home. So, will you do that? I know that as you do, you will, especially Jessica and Jonathan, will receive greater strength from the spirit to resist all of the temptations they will face and that they will grow in their testimonies.

I love our family and I love how strong it is. But I know it can always improve. Thank you for all of you love and prayers that you've sent. I am always glad to hear from you. I know that, just as Elder Cook stated, that this mission will strengthen our family and I would do this just for you guys if that were necessary. I know the truthfulness of the Gospel. I know that the Church is the only true Church upon the Earth and that it can bless ourselves and the lives of all of those around us. I know that Joseph Smith was called as the prophet of this dispensation and the President Monson is the current prophet. I say these things in the name of He who I represent, Jesus Christ.

With great love,
Elder Drake Ranquist


Apparently we aren't reading scriptures as a family enough. I would like to hear what you think...here's the situation. We read scriptures about 3 times a week. When we don't, it's either because it's late, or we kids have homework to do or a test to study for. Usually on the days that we don't I get home from dance around 9:30, eat something, and do homework. Jonathan's bedtime is at 9:30. We just find that there isn't time. We can't do it at any other time other then night- I leave the house at 5:40 and don't get back until 9:30. Dad's work (pilot) doesn't allow us to do it in the morning, and frankly I already wake up at 4:50 so I can do personal scripture study in the morning, and don't want to wake up any earlier.
Any suggestions anyone? We had a family meeting and cannot figure out another way to do it, except just to try hard, like we always have. We did decide that no matter what we can have a family prayer every night.
All I can say is at least our missionary is doing well and taking his work to heart!

3 comments:

andrea said...

Man, with schedules like yours, I think you're doing great with getting in 3 times a week!

Anonymous said...

Just do your best. For years we've tried to get a regular scripture study. The key thing the bretheren stress, however is gospel study and instruction. I think a quick doctrinal thought and discussion works. As long as we do our best, we will be blessed. Jesus knows us and knows our circumstances and the desire of our hearts.

Laura said...

I'd say that if your whole family is reading on their own already, maybe just do a verse a night. Just to keep the habit up. Maybe take turns choosing a favorite verse and talk about it for a minute or two. I know my dad always made us do it for 30 minutes in the morning. That was when we were in Utah though, and Seminary was during school hours. When we moved to KY, only my younger siblings and my parents did it together since my brother and I were going to Seminary at 6am. You do what you can...