Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New Letter, school, and my birthday!!!


First, It's my birthday!!! I'm 17 now, and sooo excited for the times to come.


Today was also Jonathan's first day of high school! My parents will wake up early one time every year, to get the "before school" or in this case, "before seminary" picture. Good luck to him!!!

More importantly though, Drake didn't forget about us that first week! He wrote a letter, but it just didn't send. I actually do not have it at the moment, but I do have his most recent. It is weird and neat to see the transformation that took place in only a few weeks.

Dear Family,

First off. Happy Birthday Jessica! Sorry, it is a bit difficult to get you anything from here, but I still want to wish you a happy birthday. You are now 17! That is the age I feel like still. I feel older than 16 now. And actually, I'm getting used to the idea that you are at least 16 as well. I hope all goes well for you. Let me know what Aaron does for you. Hopefully he makes it a special day. Oh, and I forgot to tell you this before I left. If you get married before I get back, I'll braid your legs. You can be engaged. That is fine. But I want to bet there before you get married. Also, enjoy your senior year.

Ok, what should I say now. I'm doing very well. Thank you for all of your letters and the package of food. That should last me a while. Thanks. I'm learning Spanish at a pretty quick pace. Spirit is helping me, and my previous experience. I'm also getting better at teaching. This Gospel is so simple, yet so important. It is hard to get across everything we want them to know. We just want to go here read this, pray about this, and this and this. It truly is a good experience.

The consul of Argentina came in yesterday. I don't think we'll have delays in Visas like the Mexican Elders. They get stuck here for weeks on end and have been sent elsewhere in the states. He was nice and explained a lot. I want to travel Argentina more. I guess I'll have to go back a few times to see everything.

On sunday, during priesthood, the Branch president came up to me and asked, "Can you play a musical number in sacrament meeting?" I had only 1 hour to prepare something. It went alright. I'll probably use some P-days in the future and some MDT time getting stuff worked up. I also tried out for a musical number for one of the firesides or devotionals for in front of everyone. I auditioned as an accompanist, meaning I went in, played the piano for Sis. Boone (Mission President's wife) and said that if she found a singer who needed a pianist, she could contact me. She really liked what I played (it was one of the best I had played that piece) and if it does occur, she'll get ahold of me. But, I surprised her, no one has ever come in and auditioned in that manner before.

Elder Born and I really get along well. We have similar personalities, which helps a lot. We are still different, but we can understand one another pretty well. He is slightly nerdy, musical, had a serious girlfriend, and has a strong testimony just like me, with a desire to work hard. He has become a good friend. And it really does feel wierd when we get separated.

Today our zone is getting a new district of Elders. So, after this we will no longer be the new ones around. We'll be the experienced ones. We'll be the ones who they think are fluent in Spanish. We'll help them out as much as we can and as much as we have time. (There is so much to do and it feels like so little time). It will be fun getting them. We are losing a few elders. Watch out for an Elder Grossman and an Elder Harmon. They are headed out to the Louisville mission, spanish speaking. They are our zone leaders. (Elder Harmon says "feed me well"). I have a lot of respect for them. They should do amazing things out there.

I hope school is going to go well for you Jessica and Jonathan. Good luck with your senior and freshman years. Wow! Don't get senioritis Jessica (I doubt you will) and Jonathan, just give it your all and enjoy. It should be a great experience. But also remember who you are if you are ever tempted. Remember you are God's child and rejoices when you choose right. Give Him cause to rejoice in you. I know he already has. But let that be an eternal rejoicing in him.

I was wondering if you could send me a few addresses. Could you talk with Brother Brown to see if he wants me to send him a letter to the youth in our ward? Ask him how often, how long, and what he wants me to tell them exactly. And if he wants me to send any specifically to one of them, tell him to give hem their addresses as well. Sarah sent me a letter, so I'm going to reply to her and going to add a small message to John. Also, do you want me to write Brother Dunford at all Dad? You are his home teacher and you have stewardship over him. So, what can I do to help him? Let me know what his address is if you want me to mail him and what I should and shouldn't say. If you want me to do it soon, send it via Dear Elder. Dear Elder gets things here the quickest.

This is a strengthening experience that I'm glad to have. I'm not having as hard of a time as I was last week. I have regained all of my energy and just want to keep going at it. The spirit is really strong here and I feel it daily. Thank you for all of your prayers. I know as they are given in faith, they will benefit me for the Lord's errand. I'm going to write what I wrote in a journal entry later on today in a letter, so you'll get that in a few days. But know that I know this work is the most important work on the Earth. "Oh that I were an angel" to bring this simple knowledge to all of the inhabitants of the earth. It amazes me that others don't know or don't understand these very simple concepts. I love this work and I love the people here and the people I will be teaching. I love you as well. Thank you for all that you have done for me.

Love,
Elder Ranquist


This actually brought tears to my eyes. For anyone that knows him, this letter made me think a lot of my Grandpa Ranquist. I hope they continue in that fashion. I've just realized what strength I will find through my brother and his mission. This will me an amazing couple of years.

8 comments:

whitney said...

What a great idea! You are such a wonderful sister! I hope you had a
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! It will be so fun to keep in touch this way and to hear from Drake... thats awesome! We love you all!
The Larsens

miranda said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so happy you found our blog, this will be great to keep in touch. It was wonderful seeing you and your family at Grandmas birthday! Good Luck Drake, you will be a great missionary!

Ang said...

Jessica, what a great sister you are. And Drake, you'll be a fabulous missionary. His letter reminded me of Grandpa Ranquist a bit too, Jessica. I'm sure he's so proud.

I'll check this blog for updates often!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for creating this blog Jessica - I have tears in my eyes too after reading Drake's letter. It was so great seeing all of you and your family at grandma Ranquist's birthday party - I will forever picture Drake out in the Karla's back yard playing soccer with the kids, but wearing his white shirt and tie as he was going to the MTC in 48 hours. We will all be blessed and uplifted by being able to share his mission through this blog.
Thanks again!
Love,
Aunt Barbie
P.S. - Last night I was school clothes shopping with Angie's kids and we saw this huge wrist watch at a store and we all thought "that's big enough to fit Grandma Ranquist!"

Anonymous said...

oops - spell check is always good - I meant "GrandPA Ranquist :)

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Hey Jessica, thanks for the great way for us to keep tabs on you and on Elder Ranquist! Very good idea. I'll be checking in regularly. Good luck!

Andrew

Anonymous said...

Hi, my son, Elder Sean Gilmore, went to BYU with Drake and they were in the same dorm and ward. He is going to Buenos Aires West too. Also have you heard of Elder Tyler Sabey? He also was in their dorm and ward and is sharing a room with our son at the MTC In fact they fly to Argentina on Monday. Drake is just a month behind them! Anyway, fun to find this blog. Did you know that the the Mission President's wife in BA-West has a blog? You can find out what is going on in the mission, it is pretty cool. Her blog is: www.bentonsmission.blogspot.com. Sean has a blog too its: www.elderseangilmore.blogspot.com

andrea said...

Happy birthday, Jessica! Too bad our UT trip was sooner than yours. It would've been great to see everyone and say BYE to Drake before his mission.

Good luck in High School, Jonathan!