Sunday, November 29, 2009

Bautismo y Asignacion Especial

23 Nov 2009

Dear Family,

Sorry, but once again I am found with little time. I will print off you letters to read later and try to write as much as I can now.

The baptism of Nora went really well. We were able to overcome all of the difficulties that popped up on Saturday. They didn´t come to the piano class, so we felt that we should head out to see them, even though they live really far. When we got there, they were standing there wondering whether or not to come because of some problems. We helped them decide to come. When we got back, the font was only half full. We had left it running, but the motor to fill the tank where the water for the font comes from was unplugged. So, we drained the entire tank and there wasn´t any more water. We plugged in the motor, waited a bit more, and filled the rest of the font quickly with cold water. It wasn´t too bad. It was a good, happy baptism. Patricia and her Mom also came and loved it. So, Patricia will be baptized this week or the next.

So, why don´t I have time? I probably won´t have any time to think straight for the next month. I received a special and difficult assignment (but at least I´m not district leader any more). I am now in the area of Jardines. About two or three weeks ago, the Elders were taken out of that area. It was tragic. One of the Elders that got here with me (not from the MTC in Provo, but a latin starting here) had a problem with a girl (I don´t know how serious yet) and was sent home. His companion wasn´t sent home only because he was new. So, I and Elder Cuberos are sent there, after a White Wash, to save the area. At least I do know the bishop that was relieved this past Sunday (Bishop Barreto, the uncle of Hernán). But I don´t know the new bishop yet. We don´t have good maps to carry with us and the Area book is incomplete.

So, this transfer will teach me about true miracles and about how to rely on the arm of the Lord and not on my own strength. It will be difficult and will take a lot of organization, but I know it will be possible. My main goal is to gain the confidence of the members, to help them trust the missionaries again, and to do all the Lord asks of me.

I´m excited for my new companion, Elder Cuberos. This is his second area and only has 6 months on the mission, but he already proved himself to be a great missionary in his last area. He has the desire to work hard and be obedient. He knows English really well already (and he didn´t know anything before the mission) and it will be a joy to be with him. I see that our personalities match well already.

So, please pray that the Lord and His Spirit will be with us this transfer. Nothing but that will get us out of this mess. I love you all and wish the very best. And have a good Thanksgiving. I will keep in mind of all the reasons I´m thankful, but especially for having such a wonderful earthly and heavenly family.

With love,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: