Sunday, June 14, 2009

He stays in Castillo

9 Jun 2009

Dear Family,

I welcome you once again from the ward of Rafael Castillo 1. I thought there might be a change, but all will be the same for the next month and a half. I´m getting a little more used to my responsibilities as Senior Companion and everything, but I still have a ton to learn and improve. E´Rivas will continue helping me out. And so will E´Lloyd. He is my District leader and came to Castillo (and Dad, please pronounce it something like “Cawsteeshow”) with me. So, we will be together in our apartment the full 6 months (him being patient with me as I talk about our triumphs and trials every night).

The recent converts were really glad to hear this news. I´m not sure I quite understand how converts can get so attached to 19-21 year old kids. Many of them have told us that, especially the days right before their baptisms, we show up in their dreams at night (I´ve actually been really surprised in how common that the answer to their prayers come through the form of powerful dreams). But I´m glad that through the testimonies that I´ve heard from them, they are more attached to the Gospel and really have seen the changes in their own lives.

Little by little I´m coming to understand the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants (I think it is 16: 19-20) but I´m not sure of the section number, that says something like “how great shall be your joy with them that you helped bring unto repentance.” I have been extremely blessed to be able to see these families change their lives and be witnesses of the blessings of God. Viviana gave her testimony in the Fast and Testimony meeting this week and she explained how she followed the spirit. In my own life, we have generally always lived all the commandments and I know blessings have come from them. But that is not as grand as a testimony that comes from the soul that lived without law and makes the changes to live with the law. Seeing these changes in their lives gives me the joy that the Lord has when we repent and come unto him. I have the desire to fulfil my calling to use my gifts to bring many to the truth and to convince them of the errors of their ways as it says in DyC 6:10-11 my entire life through. I hope that as you all are fulfilling your responsibilities as a part of the tribe of Ephraim, you too will experience such joy.

This has from the right, E´Rivas (my companion), E´Sureda (the companion of E´Spendlove last transfer), me, E´Spendlove (behind E´Lloyd), E´Lloyd, and E´Brooks. Thank you Dad for letting me steal the ear warmers. They´ve come in handy.

Lionel, Elder Rivas, me, Viviana, and Sara in front. All in white ready for the baptism

The family of Lionel and Viviana. The father of Lionel is an inactive member who taught his son in his youth. The Dad´s Book of Mormon that Lionel had was a crucial element in his conversion. When Lionel had a spark of wanting to know a little more about religion, he found it through that Book of Mormon. The brother now has more interest and we have yet hear news if he is receiving the missionaries.

Part of the family of Sara. Veronica and Carlos are there with her. Vania is bedridden because of her pregnancy. Carlos is an excellent man and with time, I´m sure that he´ll accept the gospel.

We got to a zone activity a little earlier than the zone leaders. So, we had to wait in the cold. There is a lot of construction outside their chapel, so we waited in the large sewer tubes that were right outside the gate. In this photos there is E´Spendlove (my old companion who has just now finished his mission), E´Brooks (the newbie), and E´Lloyd (my district leader).

No comments: