Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

6 Jun 2009

Dear Family,

I´m never quite sure what day certain holidays fall on, but I think that it probably has already past. So, I will say, Happy Father´s Day Dad! I hope that you had a good Father´s day and that the Lord continues to reward you for the decisions of your life and good actions of loving fatherhood you have expressed to me and my brother and sister.

Sunday, we had Stake Conference, which was a broadcast from Salt Lake to all of Argentina. I absolutely loved the first talk by one of the Seventy. I wish I could get a copy of it. He talked about the difference between “ser” and “hacer.” Or in English, “being” and “doing.” He focused this talk to the parents in how they should raise their children. That they should always focus on helping their children reach their potential. When they are acting badly (portándose mal, I don´t remember the exact word…ah, the word is misbehaving), remember that these are temporary actions and not who they are. One should never say to a kid that “They always…” or “They never…” or that they are “stupid,” or any such thing because the child takes this as their identity and can never overcome it. There were many other great parts that helped teach me about how I can be the father I want to become. I am so grateful Mom and Dad that you followed this counsel of church leaders.

Recently, E´Rivas and I have been talking a lot about our potential and what we wish to do. About how we are very glad that the church helps inspire us to achieve our great potential. I´m glad that you always helped me feel that I could do anything that I put my mind to. My companion says that his Mom would say “Wake up” when he had dreams of achieving high goals. But he is glad that through the Gospel, he knows that he can achieve anything and is willing to work and fight for it. This is what a lot of the youth all over the world lack—dreams. Without them, no one has the motivation to work with their might. That is one of the greatest tools of Satan, making us feel that we aren´t capable of reaching our potential. There isn´t much else that has such a disastrous effect on the heart of men. We all face it, but in the end we will see who was able to overcome it.

This week wasn´t the easiest week because, just as you stated in your letter Dad, we are having a hard time finding new investigators to teach and prepare to make covenants with God. Without investigators, we can´t teach very much. We can´t do much of anything. But I can´t complain, this week we have two baptisms. Marcos tomorrow and Victoria Saturday. They have been great to teach and have received a lot of support from their families.

We had planned to also baptize María Coyoche this week, but she didn´t make it to Stake Conference. We´re trying to decide what to do with her because she is ready to be baptized. She understands the covenant and wants to do it. The problem is that her family is inactive and she can´t make it to church alone. Her Mom, Dad, and all her older siblings are working on Sundays. Coralia, the oldest sister, was the one bringing her to church and was working, but she recently started up again. I don´t want to baptize her if she can´t renew her covenant every week. We´ll work to try to reactivate the family.

I´m glad to hear that you are enjoying your summer, that Scout camp went well, and that your back is getting better Dad. I also had a lot of fun when I did Tower and COPE at Scout camp. I agree with Jonathan, it is quite a hike. I hope you also get your Eagle Scout done soon.

With love,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: