Sunday, September 14, 2008

On a happier note!

Dear Family,

This past week has been a great week. I have been healthy and had energy and more importantly, been happy. I was more happy and joyful this past week than really I remember in my life. I don't know why exactly. I felt the spirit often and just had a good outlook on everything. I can't wait to get to Argentina to share this happiness with everyone I can. I want to "always have my line in the water" no matter if I can speak spanish well or not.

It seems like I am asking for addresses quite often, but I thought it might be good to have the address to our Augason cousins, to tell them about what I am doing and bear my testimony to them. What do you think would be the best thing to do for them?

This past week I've met with several more friends from my past life. Two of which are companions! Elder David Ludlow and Elder Salyers (wow, can't remember his first name at the moment, but I want to say something like Brandon...). The first I know well from BYU, who was the music director for our ward choir while I played for him. I might play "Oh Lord my Redeemer" with him for Sis. Boone as well. Elder Salyers is a friend from Louisville. We met at the Stake High Adventure and were together throughout Seminary. Jessica, you know him. He called you "Ducky 2." The other friend that was great to see was Elder Austin Miner, my good physics friend from the past semester at BYU. We all got overzealous in putting away chairs and he was there with us. He is going to Japan and seems to be doing well (although he can be harder to read than me at times).

I'm sorry if my last letter felt like I was chastising you too much. I read in President Benson's first talk as Prophet and he said "Children, support your parents in their efforts to have daily family scripture study." I also had come across many promises, both temporally and spiritually, by Elder Perry. I wanted my family to gain those greater blessings. I know you already do a good job and I know we have a wonderful family. I just wanted you to gain greater blessings. It is your decision Dad and I'll respect it and say no more.

I wanted to tell you of the miracle that occured this past week. A miracle of the power of prayer. Your letter about how grandpa had his medication changed is the miracle. Last week, I prayed that Grandpa would improve or that you would be led by the Spirit to know what to do for him. I asked that one way that is possible is if a new medication could be given to Grandpa. I prayed for that very thing. I know God hears our prayers and when we ask in faith he answers them,
"often in suprisingly direct ways." (Can't remember whether that is from Preach my Gospel or a conference talk I read).

President Uchtdorf made a surprise appearance yesterday for our devotional. It was excellent as always. Here's a quote from it I know you'll love dad. "Time flies, but we are the pilot." He talked about how we shouldn't underestimate ourselves, the power we've been given, or the power of the Lord behind us. He counciled us to pray every night to ask the Lord for acceptance for what we have done throughout the day. He also told us how the first presidency prays for the missionaries and their families every day. I feel so strengthened being a missionary. I have felt strong the past year, but so much stronger here. I am with the Lord (that is one thing he also said, don't ask "Is the Lord with me?" but "Am I with the Lord?"). I hope you feel strengthened by all of the prayers going to you.

I love to hear from the prophets, seers, and revelators. I love to study their words. I wish I had more time every day for personal study. It seems like I only get to scratch the surface of the teachings. Even though I know most of it, I know that through repition, we can receive more revelation. That is another thing Pres. Uchtdorf touched yesterday. I have wondered if I wanted to become a religious professor instead, so that I could study the words of the Lord and His servants continually throughout my life, but I'm too slow of a reader, don't like to write how they have to that much, and I like math and astrophysics too much. But I do plan on keeping up a strong scripture study thorughout my life.

I know that God desires to bless us and that he is blessing us in great ways. I love My Father and all He does for His children. I know this is His Church on the Earth and that His servants receive revalation from Him. I know that the priesthood is His great power that we excercise, according to our faith. I know all these things because of the spirit of revelation I have, that we all can have, through prayer and fasting to have the Spirit of the Holy Ghost. Thank you for your continual prayers and please always remember me in your prayers. The more God blesses me with His Spirit, the better able I can do His will, which I want to do. I glory in Him in the name of Jesus Christ.

Love,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: