Sunday, April 5, 2009

Jonathan's got an admirer!

31 Mar 2009

Dear family,

I got your setter just fine Dad and I´m sorry that it has been so hectic this week. I send my best wishes and prayers to all for the loss. But, I wrote everything I wanted to say last week in my letter, so I will continue on with a normal letter.

First of all, we had a great baptismal service for Veronica and Vania Dumos. I think I´ve already written a ton about them the past month, so I don´t need to explain how we found them and everything, but teaching them has been a blast. Their Mom, Sara, told us the first time we went, here are your next two “Mormonas” (after going to the baptism of Roxana, Karen, and Florencia) and she was right! I had the opportunity of baptizing Gabriela Veronica Dumos Silva.During the baptismal service, we four missionaries sang, as we always do a musical number, “Haz tú lo justo” (“Do what is right” I think it is called in english) because one day while we were teaching they said that they remembered that hymn from singing it in church and when they slipped and said a bad word or something they sing the part “Do what is write (haha, as said, his english is slipping!) let the consequences follow” (but the spanish version has a bit of a different meaning, but I don´t remember the lyrics at the moment). They smiled at that. They will make excellent members if they continue with the same zeal that they have now.

We´ve found that baptismal services are one of the best ways of sparking interest in the Gospel—one of the best ways for someone new to experience the fruits of the Spirit. We are trying to teach the mother of Veronica and Vania and I think she is becoming more and more interested, especially because of what she has seen in her daughters. We also think that their dad and the husband of Vania are interested. Men are harder to teach because of work and they´re a bit more hard hearted in general, but these obstacles can be overcome.

Now to say Thank You! I received my package yesterday and I love it, especially the photos. They are perfect to show a bit of who I am and make a bit of a better connection with the investigators. I don´t think that I´ve ever really seen the picture of my own baptism. And Jessica, you look beautiful in your Senior Photo. Jonathan, I have to warn you that you might have to work a bit harder now on learning Spanish. I showed the photos to Roxana and her twin Daughters and Florencia took a photo of your photo to put on her cell phone. I gave them your email address (it is aceflyer13@gmail.com, no?) saying they could write him. So, you might get a few emails in Spanish from them. If you need help translating them, you can use the internet, your Mom and sister, or send it to me. If you want to reply, you can try in spanish or do it in English and I can help translate it when they get it. They need to learn English anyways for their classes.

Continuing on with giving thanks for the package. Today, my companion bought some oragami paper in order to do some of the characatures (I don´t know how to spell that and spell check in Word here doesn´t work) in the book you sent. I think we might have some fun with that today. The Gardetto´s opened up a bit, but I think they are alright. The only problem with all of the snacks is that we are fasting together as a zone, so they served as a temptation last night. But tonight I will be able to deleitarme (feast) with the other Elders of Castillo.
Oh, I think I should resend my address. You send my package well, but I got a letter from your cousin, Dad, saying that she´s tried to send two packages and has had problems. One of which was returned with the address she wrote completely erased. Jessica, you might have to correct my address on facebook. If people want to send packages or letters (without using DearElder or pouch) they have to send it to (and please correct this if it is wrong because I don´t have my address on me right now):

La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Últimos Días
Elder Drake Alexander Ranquist
Misión Argentina Buenos Aire Oeste
C.C. 72
1702 Ciudadela
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I hope there haven´t been any other problems because of that as I´m afraid there has been.

Thank you Jessica and Jonathan for the letters. I can see that you are working on your Spanish Jonathan. You wrote all of the numbers well. Un día, va a poder hablarme en Castallano sin problema. Estudia. I wish I could help you on the basketball team, but I´m afraid that I´ve passed the limit. But just give your all and have fun. And Jessica, good luck with all of the arrangements for BYU. I´m glad that Jessica, Zephne, and Sarah are helping you out. They´ll be great guides. Follow the Spirit, it will indicate what to do.

I hope that you can find joy out of this week, even though it may be hard emotionally. Be ye of good cheer.

Con cariño,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: