Sunday, April 19, 2009

He's getting old

14 Apr 2009

Dear Family,

I´m glad to hear that everything is going well, even if things are more lonely. I never realized that the problems with Jasmine were so bad. Does Jessica hate you now Dad? (the answer is no, of course not!) I think she is a little bit older now and a bit more understanding this time. But I can´t imagine not having Duchess and Jasmine in the house. Things really are going to be completely different when I get back.
Right now we are on the search of more good investigators. We have several potential good investigators, but we have yet to see. Ana María and her family will be baptized either this Saturday or the following. There is a youth activity in the evening that Gabriela and Federico wish to attend, so we´d have to do it at 11 in the morning. Ana María has been ready for a long while. She is more peaceful with her life. We can see a change. But we´re not completely sure if all of her children are quite ready. So, it is still in the air whether we do it this week or the following.
This week, I felt a lot of the joy of missionary work as we were able to teach a lot with the Spirit and also feel and see the changes that people have made for the Gospel. One day, when we passed by, Veronica came out and talked with us about some of the problems she and her family are having. They´ve had the same problems since we first passed by and although it hurts a little to hear of the trials, I rejoiced in the way that she was facing the challenge. Her reaction is completely different than our first visit when she complained and blamed others. This time she looked at it with a more eternal perspective, understanding that it is a part of life, and with the testimony to say, “but I know that I´m never alone.” The Gospel has changed my life and love see it improve the lives of others little by little.
One of the lessons that we had this week really showed the instantaneous change a person can have after they listen openly to a part of the message of the restoration. We were walking along a street that we are on often when my companion contacted a girl in the gate of her house. We started teaching a charla corta (a short version, 5-15 min., of lesson 1 to give a brief understanding and to set a return appointment) when her mom came home. We have contacted that house a few times before and she started saying “We´re pentacostal, ...” and starting to reject us. We rehashed a little about what we were teaching about the life of Christ when she said, “we believe the same thing, what is different about your church?” We taught how Christ formed only one church and about the restoration and prayer. She opened herself up and was really interested. We were able to enter the house, sing “I am a child of God” (E´Gonzalez is one of the few latinos that can sing harmony), and prayed on our knees. Although we have yet to see whether she and her family will decide to take the steps to know that this is the true church, it was nice to see how a heart can soften. This isn´t a rare occassion. The problem is that often they forget what they feel afterwards and don´t put forth the effort to know and to ask.
It is great to hear about the missionary work that is going on in our ward. I still feel kind of bad that I didn´t go to the baptism that we had just a bit before I left. I should´ve gone. I hope to be able to participate in a lot of baptisms throughout my entire life. I don´t ever really remember our ward having much missionary success. It may be that I was too young to notice. I don´t know. But I really do agree with E´Perry, that the missionaries today, with Preach My Gospel, are the best teachers that the church has ever seen in this dispensation (or at least since just after the very beginning of the church). Continue helping missionaries find people, so that they can spend the majority of their time teaching. This work is rolling forth.

Oh, this week, Sara (mother of Veronica, Vania, and Romina) went to visit her family in Chile. While she was there met up with the family of my companion. She had a great time. My companion asked his parents to send all sorts of stuff back, which he received today. It is nearly impossible to send packages between Chile and Argentina. I don´t understand exactly why, but this is one of the first packages my companion has received. It was cool to see and try some of the Chilean candies. They eat lots of marshmellow, which they don´t have here.

This morning I realized that I´m as old if not just a little older than Mom when she got married. You really were young! I´m glad that I have a little more time yet to prepare and learn to be better.

I hope all will be well with you all and that the Lord continues pouring out His blessings upon you. I know He will. Until next week.

Con cariño,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: