Sunday, March 7, 2010

Terremoto

Dear Family,

My companion tells me that everyone is alright in his family in Chile. He lives in Santiago, so it wasn´t hit quite as hard, but his family said that everything inside the house fell over. But, the house itself is well constructed and that there weren´t any problems. That is the good thing about Chile, they have years worth of experience working with earthquakes because it happens so often there. But the past few days, everyone has been asking my companion, “How is your family?” He didn´t know anything until now when he checked his email. All of the Chileans in the mission received permission to call home for 5 minutes, but my companion decided not to (or rather, when he decided he might, he accidently left the number in the pench. His family changed their home phone number in the past few months). We didn´t feel anything although I heard that some of the tallest buildings in the capital had damaged windows or swayed or something.

But, with the recent earthquakes, we have had opportunities to teach people the plan of salvation ... and more science (there was one person who thought that global warming and the hole in the ozone caused the earthquakes). I like to tell people that death is just the door to a new adventure. We´ll all pass it whether we go alone or in large groups. It helps people think again whether such catastrophes are so terrible or not. I am grateful for the knowledge of the Gospel that we have to see everything in life with a new light.

On a different topic, I find it kind of funny that Mom noticed that I haven´t been wearing my glasses. I don´t say that it surprises me. No, I haven´t lost my glasses. But they are a bit scratched up, and with as much as it has been raining recently, they can be a bother at times. So, I decided not to wear them. As a missionary, it really doesn´t make much difference at all. I can see well enough. When people are far away I might not recognize them or it might make it harder to read the street name or number, but basically nothing changes with or without glasses. They are essencial in school to read the board, but I don´t have to do that much here. Also, most people say that I look better without glasses, so I´m wondering if I´ll heed that counsel and go with contacts after the mission. I don´t know and don´t really care much now.

I can´t quite say that this past week was the best week in my mission. I got a little discouraged and tired, lost the desire to push myself to talk with those that I don´t know, and didn´t work as hard as I should. That happens every once in a while in the mission and at times takes a while to recuperate. But, I am glad that I can say that I´ve tried to be as obedient as I could, but I can´t say that I was diligent. And without such diligence, giving all of your soul, heart, might, mind, and strength, success in the mission doesn´t exist.

It has been really difficult to do things that are so against my nature, but I know that it is helping me to polish all of my weak spots. I´ve always been good at getting along with people, but here I have to push them to improve. That work is much harder. But, I know I´m not alone in that work. As long as I am obedient and diligent, the Lord promises His spirit.

At least we have a few sparks of hope here. A couple that Elder Jimenez and Elder Chamberlain taught had gone on vacation and returned this week. They are named José and María (the most Catholic names you can find). María doesn´t have too much interest, but José, while he was on vacation, found an old Book of Mormon from 1970 in a library and he bought it. When we saw him, he was talking a lot about baptism, but didn´t feel quite ready to decide yet. He came with us to church on Sunday and we´ll go back to see him on Wednesday. We´ll see what happens.

I know that this work will always march forth and that no matter what happens, the Lord will protect and provide for His people, those that are righteous. God will make us the best that we are through the loving means of a perfect Father. And all shall be as He says.

With love,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: