Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lecciones y Estres

Dear Family,

To reply to some of the basic stuff, I have no clue where you would find my BYU ID. I´m sure you´d find it on my BYU ID card, but at this moment I don´t remember where that is. Maybe I have it in my wallet, but I doubt it. Maybe it is in the mission safe. Maybe it is at home. No sé. If you are able to log into my BYU account, you´d probably be able to find it in there too. Sorry if I´m of no help there.

And I don´t know if you are thinking of sending another package any time soon, but if you are, it would be nice if you would put in it some more Post-Its, more socks, and a Pez dispenser (one of the members here collects Pez dispensers from the Yankee missionaries). But it isn´t an emergency at all any of those things. I´m still alright, just a heads up.

And also, they´ve changed our mail accounts. It now goes through gmail. My new email is drake.ranquist@myldsmail.net. It has a huge memory, so we won´t have to worry as much about the space it takes to receive and send photos.

Jonathan, I can´t really imagine what you are going through right now. I really haven´t been faced with death much in my life. We´ve gone through the passing away of our grandparents, our aunt, and one of our neighbors, but I haven´t had to face it as you are now. But this I do know: Death is just the door to a new adventure. It is sad the way your friend chose to pass to the other side, but he and his family can continue on with faith and hope. There may be a better opportunity to share your testimony that you know what happens after death. That our spirit lives on waiting the day of our resurrection. That everyone, no matter what they said or did, just by the fact that they chose to come to this earth, will be blessed with a perfect body to live on forever. Life will go on in joy. And everyone will receive a just “prize” for our actions, inheriting a kingdom of glory. In each of these glories, there will be joy to be had. We push ourselves to be worthy to enter into that great and glorious Celestial kingdom, but even those who do not make it will participate in joy and rest from the labors of this life. Continue with your prayers of faith and continue being my happy, smiley brother. I have always admired your persistence in times of difficulty and the light that illuminates all around you. I still have a lot to learn from you.

And I´ll continue praying for you Mom and Dad. And I know they´ll be answered by what is best for you both. Thank you for your support and example.

This past week, here in Jardines, has also been full of ups and downs. I don´t think I´ve ever taught so much in my entire mission. The Lord blessed us with many people to find and help. I feel good that I can say that we worked hard. But along with all of that work came a lot of stress. We were constantly thinking about how we can help all the people we are teaching and how we can achieve our goals. If the Lord has in mind that I´ll be a zone leader next transfer, I think He is training me now how to achieve the numbers necessary to set a good example.

We were really glad that we could participate in the confirmation of Yanina. The Bishop surprised me by asking me to do the confirmation. I felt like it was an honor. And I could feel that the Spirit was there. I just wish that Rita and Julio had come to witness this step of their daughter. They told us all week that they would come, but while they were getting ready, some cousins came from Peru, without prior notice. That happens way too much here in Argentina. We have been praying a lot that they might gain their own testimonies.

We had a lot of new investigators in sacrament meeting again. But it is weird. We can help many people come for the first time, but we have difficulties helping them come a second time. They want to, but there is always a larger test they have to overcome the second time to get to church. I´m not sure if I´ll see the baptism of very many people before I leave Jardines in two weeks, but I´m hoping that I have planted and helped many seeds grow so that they can bring forth fruit in the coming months. I hope I´ll be able to be constant these next two weeks and these next six months and work with all my might (I passed the 18 month mark on Saturday and I´m hoping that I´ll be able to work harder and use the experience I have gained to make these last six months the best in my mission).

I know that this is the kingdom of God here on Earth that we are helping to build. I know that God is at the head and will help us be and achieve what He has in mind. His will will be done, usually in small and simple means. I love the fact that I can participate and dread the day when I have to give up my nametag and lose the authority to be His representative.

With love,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: