Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'm in Utah!

Yup, I'm finally in Utah! I can't believe school is here after all of that waiting! I'm so excited!

anyway...

18 Aug 2009

Dear Family,

This was yet another great week in the service of the Lord. We continued to work hard, even when we were tired (I´m extremely grateful for my companion who can take a little bit of control when my mind ceases to work) and saw a ton of fruits. I don´t understand how it was possible, but person after person would accept us. We gave so many “charlas cortas” (short discussions about the restoration). I told you last week how we started of finding 10 people on monday, which is our weekly goal. Throughout the week, we found 17 more people to teach. We now have people to teach in nearly every part of the area in which we work.

I told you that we taught a family last week in the which the father, Cristian, listened to the missionaries before. We taught them again on Saturday and they accepted to come to church with us on Sunday. Sunday morning, we could feel that a strong storm was building up. While walking to their house, there was strong wind, it began to sprinkle a bit, and we heard thunder and say a little lightning. We were praying the entire time that the Lord wait to lash out his fury until the family could get safely inside and not be scared to leave their house. When we arrived, they were nearly ready. We walked with them to church and the moment in which they entered, it began to pour. During the first class, it was nearly impossible to listen to what was being said because the rain hitting the roof made so much noise. And even harder when it began to hail. But, all who got to church on time were dry. We were very thankful.

We had another miracle Sunday that carried into yesterday (and we hope will carry on forever). We went to teach Ramona, who will be baptized on the 29th and makes me really happy everytime I see her because of how excited she is. She shares her testimony with us nearly everytime we go to teach her. When we arrived, we asked if she wanted to invite her neice to listen to us, who was in the house at the time. She said yes, but didn´t come out until we finished our lesson about the plan of salvation. We taught her neice, Lurdes, the first lesson as normal, but when she said that she would read and pray, I felt that she really meant it. She works in the capital the entire week and is only home on the weekends, so I decided to teach about The Book of Mormon as well. I forgot that yesterday was a holiday here, but my companion didn´t. He set the return appointment for the next day.

When we went, we saw that she truely is one of the elect of the Lord. She had read the folleto and 3 Ne 11. She also prayed last night and received a strong spiritual witness. With the help of Valeria (a member of the same age, 22 years), we learned that when she prayed, she felt like she was going to cry, yet was happy. The spirit was really strong during this lesson as Ramona as well spoke of how this gospel is helping her. With such an experience, we knew she deserved a baptismal date for as soon as possible, namely the 12th of September. If only missionary work could always be like that.

Before my mission, I thought that was how missionary work would be. Teach and the person would receive an answer immediately and they would come and join the church. But now I realize that such experiences are really rare. Usually, missionary work takes a lot of work, effort, faith, and love.

Thank you for all of love and prayers. I loved your talk Mom. It was really well written. And I pray and hope for the best for you all.

Love,
Elder Drake Ranquist

No comments: