Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ice Storm in KY! Divisions in Argentina?

A few inches of snow and ice might not seem like a big deal to those of you out west, but here in Kentucky, it's a rareity! On Monday and Tuesday, a big storm passed through, and we recieved layer upon layer of ice and snow. The snow isn't the problem, we've dealt with that before. It's the ice! Ice is just covering everything, including the power lines. Luckily, my family never lost power, but so far we've housed 6 different people who did! (most of which happened to be my friends, so I had a great time) School was cancelled last week and is tomorrow, because most of the schools lost power and haven't gotten it back yet. This is the second full week that school has been cancelled this year due to power outages. First there was the hurricane in the fall, now this storm. My friends are all saying that in the Spring we're going to have a big tornado that knocks out all of the power and puts us out of school for the week. I hope that doesn't happen, though I have to admit, it has been really nice getting a break!

Here are some pictures of what has happened to our world...remember that what you see is not just snow...but layers of ice as well!


Ok, now to Drake. We can't believe how he's almost a fourth done with his mission! This year has been going so fast! Well, unless you ask my mom. To her, this year is not going fast enough when she thinks of it in terms of Drake's mission, but it has been going way to quickly when I remind her that I'm about to graduate! Funny how that works.

27 Jan 2009

Querida Familia,

This week and this coming week are going to be full of divisions. I´m hardly ever going to be with my companion. He is the leader of the district and has to do a division with each member of our district. So, we did two last week and two this week. Also, he has to do the baptismal interviews and doesn´t want to lose the working time in our area, so we did another division this past week and we are probably going to do a few more this week. It is a little overwhelming having to guide this area since I don´t understand Castellano as well as he does and basically do anything else as well. But, I continue pushing through and I know that every little effort that I put in helps further the work of the Lord.

Yesterday I received another package from the Sweat family. I want to thank them. It may take some time before I can write the thank you letters because of all of the letters I need to respond to from last week. But thank you for the candy and letters. I especially liked the cashews. I´ve been missing eating nuts a bit. They really are quite expensive here, so they are really appreciated. Also, thank you Jessica for the address, that is what I needed.

Dad, I think you might want to try resending your e-mail, this is what I received,
“Dear Son,
This week will be your 6 month anniversary on your mission. I know you have
thought about it and how fast it has gone. We have missed you greatly, but
have also had much joy in your letters and the growth that has occurred. We
are very excited about the growth yet to come. While it is sad to look at
your picture on the mantel ever”

Yes, it is hard to believe that I´ve almost past through a quarter of my mission. The time really does seem to fly. It is interesting to view the changes that occurs little by little in this area and in myself. I still have a long ways to go though. Another year and a half. Yet I know that it will fly by without me knowing it. I´m beginning to understand better the eternity of time and the lack thereof. But yet the necessity to spend what little time we have in a meaningful manner. That there is no time to wait.

Next Monday is when the next transfer begins. I don´t know exactly what will happen. I had been thinking that I would be sent to another area, but right now it is a bit more in the air. This Wednesday, we went to the hospital in capital for the third time to pick up the results of my companion´s MRI. He has a few problems still and was told that he really shouldn´t be walking so much. It is making things worse. He only has 4 months in the mission left, so it could be possible that he will “die” working in the offices (we say die to mean end the mission and leave. I was born here in Villa Amelia.) If that happens, I will spend another transfer here helping another Elder get used to the area. If that doesn´t happen, Elder Spendlove will stay here as district leader and I will leave for another area. We just don´t know what the President and his wife will feel needs to be done.

Oh, I´ve been meaning to tell you something kind of funny. You know how Dad always talked about how his mission president put Elders with similar names together, like E´White with E´Black, or E´Adams with E´Eve? Well, in my zone there is an Elder Flores with and Elder Rosas! I guess my mission president has the same sense of humor.

I´m now trying to send you the photos of the baptism. The first is Hernan with his Aunt, Uncle, and younger cousins. The other is of him with us and his Uncle who baptized him.

This coming week, we are going to try to organize a rescate or a rescue of the priesthood in the ward. Next Sunday we are going to gather as many active priesthood holders as we can to go out and visit as many of the inactive priesthood holders as possible and give the message “Venga lo que Venga, Disfrútalo” I think is Come what may, Enjoy it. The attendance of women in the ward is good, but of men it is a bit depressing. Without priesthood, the church doesn´t work. With little, it doesn´t function well. So, we are trying to focus on bringing more priesthood holders into this ward so that there is a base that our investigators can find support. And over these past two transfers, we have been seeing the fruits of our labors, little by little. One family, a Dad with two sons who are of the age to prepare for missions have been returning and making improvements in the family. He is still frustrated that his sons don´t work and clean in the house like he wants them to. I think that might sound familiar to anyone who went through their teenage years. We have also seen another priesthood holder return. He is a bit disanimated because his wife has gone inactive and works constantly and his children don´t want to go to church with him. Although it is hard, he is beginning to come alone. My main worry is with Juan, the kid that I baptized my first transfer. He hasn´t been coming to church for a long while and when he did, only to sacrament meeting, so he has never yet received the Aaronic Priesthood. His family visits family members a lot on Sundays, so he has a hard time coming, but I hope he can to receive the support he needs.

I know that by small and simple means the Lord works His miracles. We have to be patient with Him and His children a lot, but if they take the steps of prayer and reading I know they can receive the witness that this work is indeed true. That this has the fullness of the Gospel to bring our hearts to great joy and consolation. And the only way to return to live in the presence of our Heavenly Father.

Love,
Elder Ranquist



No comments: