Sunday, November 16, 2008

New Companion!

Dear Family,

Things are going to change here a bit. First of all, yes Dad, it is starting to get hot. I´ve never really spent much time out in the sun before in my life. But that is something that will change for sure. Mom, I do put on sunscreen every morning. I found that when I start getting burned, I get bad rashes the itch and bumps appear. So, I try to put on sufficient sunscreen every week. Two nights ago I had a hard time sleeping because of the heat in our room, which really retains heat, but last night I was fine. We have a fan to use.

Before I get into the major change, I´ll write a bit about this week. Elder Nieres has a ton of skills with mechanics and with construction. So, we spent a lot of time this week giving service to some recent converts. I should actually say he spent a lot of time giving service because I have absolutely no experience when it comes to such things. The major accomplishment was the laying of a tile floor for La Familia Pereira. They are a strong family that are preparing to go to the temple in April.

Elder Nieres was amazing with laying the tiles. The first thing he did was level the floor. I got to see how concrete is mixed and laid. How he used a tube of water to mark the same height on each wall. And how he used nail and string to mark the level he wanted of the floor. It was quite amazing to watch him do it all.

So, what did I do while he was doing all of this? I talked some with the family. But other than that I got to do one of my favorite things—Study! They were given a huge library of LDS books from the Bishop. So, I read in Principles of the Gospel and various other materials. I read from the Book of Mormon (I am still a pretty slow reader of Castellano, but I am getting a lot better). And I read from Jesus the Christ. I love that book. It so logically displays the life of the Lord and the reasons for which he did things. One day of his service, I was able to read 50 pages of Jesus the Christ. That is a lot. I wish I had more time to read it.

I really wish I had read more and studied more during my youth. I studied school stuff and I did read from the scriptures every night in order to complete the Canon of scriptures, but I never really studied or read much otherwise. I wish I didn´t spend so much time playing video games and watching TV and such. But, that is alright. Later in my life, I want to read and study the gospel and other good books more. I love them. One thing I´ve realized with Jesus the Christ, I want to go through the Four Gospels and read them using the chronology given in the Bible Dictionary and then read the explanation of Talmage. Yes, I love the times I get to read.

Ok, now for the major change. I have survived my first transfer! (And no, I´m not speaking of my physical wellbeing mom). So, we had the big transfer meeting yesterday (where we learned that we had broken the mission record with 137 baptisms!), and Elder Nieres has been reassigned. He has been in Villa Amelia for 6 months and really loves the members and didn´t want to leave. He is headed for Marcos Paz, another zone. I will miss him. Although I didn´t agree with him on several things, especially on our use of time and our lack of punctuality, he is a good elder, my trainer. I hope that all goes well for him. He has 4 months left on the mission. I hope they are full of enjoyment and success. He told me, when I asked for his counsel after a transfer together, “Enjoy every moment of your mission.” I hope to be able to and I hope he does too.

So, this means I get a new companion. His name is Elder Spendlove. He just came in this morning, so I don´t know much about him yet, but I´ll write what little I do know. He is from Utah and I originally thought he was latino because of his tan (I´m tanning a bit too, which is a little weird). He seems to be very comfortable with the language, which is a good thing. He has 17 months on the mission. I believe that he will be a great companion. He seems to have a lot of traits of a leader (asking good, specific questions of Elder Nieres before he left about the area). I believe that he will be a great companion.

That means I´m the one who is knowledgeable about the area and the people. I don´t think I know it as well as I should. Elder Nieres would do nearly everything, so I hope that I will have the ability to do my share of the work. I want to be diligent and obedient, but I am a little afraid of the energy that the work I´m hoping to make myself do will tax. But, I know that the Lord will support me if I put forth the effort.

Oh, the reason we have Preparation day on Tuesday is because the temple here isn´t open on Mondays. Every other transfer, we go to the temple. Also, sometimes the zone activity is to go to the temple. So, we need to have our P-day on a day that the temple is open. That was changed recently I believe. And yes, they do take siestas in the afternoon. Or some of them do. It seems like only half of the people sleep. I don´t know exactly. And yes, I have heard that Obama will be the new president. But I don´t know much more than that and I´m not really sure if I care to know much more at this time. I´m an Argentine for now.

I hope that your week goes well all of you. That your calling as Relief Society will bring you joy Mom. That you´ll get through your checkrides just fine and without worry Dad. That dance and friends will continue to be an enjoyment to you Jessica. That school goes well and you can have fun with the roadshow Jonathan. That all of you will be blessed with the Spirit of the Lord in your lives, that you´ll have its fruits, which is “amor, gozo, paz, paciencia, benignidad, bondad, fe, mansedumbre, templanza.” (I try to memorize a scripture or something almost every day and I review them all when I do my excercises in the morning. So, I´m going to have a lot of scriptures memorized in Castellano. I´ll have a hard time quoting them in English when I return).

I know that this is the Lord´s work. That we´ll live as a family together forever in the presence of our Father and enjoy of all of His blessings if we perseverar hasta el fin, endure to the end. I know that the Lord works through simple means to bring about greatness. I know that through His restored gospel, la fe, el arrepentimiento, el bautismo, y el recepción del don del Espíritu Santo, we can receive of His Salvation. I love the gifts and blessings He gives us and I hope to have the faith to always seek them. Know that I love you and that He loves you with great power. And that through la oración y la lectura de las Escrituras, we can feel of his gran amor. May God always be with you.

Sincerely,
Elder Drake Ranquist

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping up with your posts Jessica - I look forward to reading what Drake has to see with great anticipation - he is a wonderful Elder already!
XO
Aunt Barbie